Monday, July 21, 2008

more movies and such

I guess I've been seeing a lot of movies lately. On Friday I saw Hellboy II, and I really enjoyed it. I love Guillermo Del Toro's creatures. I especially like the giant beanstalk monster. See, I've also been enjoying a little indoor gardening recently: I am the proud seeder of 3 flourishing mini-rose plants, small medium & large, with delicate pink petals and lovely soft scent; 9 little basil plants that are also quite tasty; plus the recent addition of 5 sunflower seedlings, 2 strawberry seedlings, and 5 cosmos seedlings. Oh, and one lavender and a rosemary that I picked a stem from and then rooted in water. So far so good, though the strawberry seedlings are incredibly tiny. Anyway. I like to talk to them and spend a little time with them to help them grow (yes I'm crazy I know but I've loved plants and gardens since I was a little girl). And something that I notice when I study them: they are so determined and strong, those little seeds, and they grow so quickly, that if you were to magnify that process, it would be, well, kind of terrifying. So I really liked the beanstalk monster. Plus its death was actually really beautiful.

And tonight I saw Mamma Mia! with Ginni after a gig. It was very uplifting--can't help tapping your foot and singing along to those irresistible tunes! Plus, I have to say, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, and Stellan Skårsgaard are still pretty handsome fellas, and its fun to watch such "serious" actors let loose. Same can be said about Meryl Streep, Julie Walters, and Christine Baranski. I am not saying Mamma Mia! is a fantastic movie, but I am saying that it's A LOT of fun.

Still haven't made it to The Dark Knight, but that's also very hard to get tickets to. Anyway, I'm glad to have a friend from high school visit me and to have an actual vacation starting tomorrow. We're going to do all the fun LA things, like Disneyland and a studio tour and the Getty and LACMA and LaBrea Tar Pits and beach etc etc etc. Still have some errands to run before I pick her up tomorrow evening, and then the fun can begin!

No comments: