Wednesday, August 27, 2008

random thoughts

Yesterday I played a gig where all four woodwinds were left-handed. What are the odds?

I was listening to the podcast of NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" while making reeds, and the guest was Patrick Fitzgerald, the "Very Special Prosecutor" of Scooter Libby (among others). When I googled him, his blog came up. Kind of cool.

I've been watching Project Runway, season 2 and Weeds, season 2. Enjoying them both.

My body does not seem particularly happy that I am playing oboe and working on reeds a lot. Various aches and pains have gradually been worsening. Weirdest: both thumbs are sore, so that it hurts to curl them under my fingers in a fist. Not sure what to do about this, since playing/reeding less isn't really an option right now. It's not bad, actually, just annoying, but I have heard so many bad stories about little aches and pains that get worse and worse and become serious problems that I just start to worry. Although maybe the thumb thing is caused by me clenching my fists in my sleep or something like that. I don't know if I do that or not.

Getting a little anxious about finding more work, and some upcoming auditions, and starting the work I have picked up, and about people coming and going. Oh I'm not sure if I ever congratulated Jon, who won a job at the Hyogo Performing Arts Center (sort of like the New World Symphony of Japan). And I need to congratulate Kelly for the Evansville job. Now they're both leaving :( :( :(

2 comments:

Jill Cathey said...

Wow - you must be "reeding" up a storm! I've never had the sore thumbs problem (but then, making reeds isn't one of my favorite pastimes). Do you text a lot? Maybe that is contributing as well. Best of luck on all your jobs!

Gabrielle said...

heh, texting hadn't occurred to me. thanks for the luck!