Friday, September 7, 2007

dogs do not belong on the freeway!!!!

Today didn't start off so well, I'm hoping it ends up better. I took my roommate to the airport at 8 this morning. On the way there, on the 405 - South after Manchester but right before the Century Blvd exit I was to take, as I was zooming along at 65 miles an hour, I suddenly saw two dogs on the freeway. I started to freak out, so did Shirley, they were only fifty feet away, and they didn't seem to be moving out of the way. They looked really confused. I have no idea how they got on the freeway; I have the nasty feeling that someone dumped the poor creatures there at some less trafficky time of day, because it's not easy to just wander on to the 405. They were a pretty golden color, possibly pit bulls, but I'm not sure, and they looked like siblings. They were standing in the little V between the cars merging on from the Manchester entrance and the rest of the freeway, but they started to walk into the right hand lane that I was in. I tried to stop, but I was going too fast, and to stop suddenly on the freeway like that is very dangerous. I couldn't get into the other lane or swerve out of the way because there were cars there. So I slowed down as much as I could and hoped they would get out of the way. One did. But I heard something thump against my car as I continued, and I'm sure the other one must have been injured at the least. I didn't know what to do. Shirley called 411 to get the non-emergency LAPD number, but apparently they don't have one. The lady said we should call animal control, but then we didn't have any paper to write the number down. I felt terrible. I've never had that happen to me before. Those poor animals. I called animal control when I got home, but it was already 9:30 by that time. I hope someone else was able to call in sooner and help them. Poor doggies. I think I'm gonna go cry now.