Monday, April 22, 2013

Friday

On Friday morning I must admit I slept in a bit since I was still tuckered out from my busy Thursday and not 100% adjusted to Eastern Time.  But I got myself a cappuccino and headed to the Phillips Collection around 11am.  I was happy my teacher status got me a couple of dollars off the entrance fee, and I was enthralled with the collection.  They have a Rothko Room, which was put together by Rothko himself.  It was amazing.

After a couple hours at the Phillips Collection, I headed to lunch at the Capitol with my friend Liz.  I hadn't seen her since high school, at the Bowdoin Summer Music Festival.  She's not an oboist anymore, she works for a Congressman.  From CT, no less.  Sadly, I did not take any pictures, but it was great catching up. 

After lunch, I headed to the National Museum of American History, which I had remembered from visiting DC in high school.  Now it has Michelle Obama's inauguration dress added to the First Ladies collection, and a very large and overwhelming exhibit on war in America. 

After the Smithsonian, I met up with Georgina and we went to visit another oboist friend, this one still plays (gorgeously), Alison.  We went to Ping Pong, a sort of fusion dim sum place with OK food and terrible service, and then Kramerbooks for pie, where we had delicious "hot almond joy" hot chocolate (malibu rum, amaretto, and hot chocolate). 

No comments: