Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Natasha Richardson

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Natasha Richardson today. I do not know her, of course, but still, it made me sad. Maybe it's because she has two young sons, or because she's become familiar to me through her movies. Maybe it's because her family is also famous, so their grief is more personal: when someone dies, I feel bad for their family, but often I don't know anything about their family. But for Natasha Richardson, well, I've seen her sister in movies, and her husband is one of my favorite actors, and I've seen her mother and her aunt and uncle all in movies. I've actually seen Vanessa & Corin Redgrave live at Houston's Alley Theater, in productions of Julius Caesar and Anthony & Cleopatra (she was a killer Cleopatra), when I was only in 7th grade, but I still remember it clearly (she was also a killer Portia: I cringed when she stabbed herself in the leg). And my mom looks a little like Vanessa. I think they made such an impression that from then on I always noticed them and remembered things about them. Anyway, for whatever reason, even though I do not know these people AT ALL, I am sad for them.

No comments: