Sunday, November 30, 2008

the dark is rising

When searching for movies on Netflix, I looked at the page for "The Seeker," the movie version of one of my all-time favorite children's books, and came across these reviews:

Reviews Voted Most Helpful

Votes are counted and displayed within 24 hours

1.0 Stars
This movie made me sad and angry. It's only loosely based on the book (one of my all-time favorites), and they took almost everything that was good about it & smashed it to bits. I can understand a few "tweaks" here & there (a good "tweak" is the mall scene), and maybe removing a scene or two from the book, but this hardly followed the book at all & the ending was completely different and awful. The books are based on Celtic legends (and some traditions), but the movie cut out nearly all reference to it whatsoever. I'd still highly recommend the book (and then MAYBE seeing the movie), but other than perhaps bringing the book to light, this was a completely worthless movie. And I think that was one of the worst endings I have ever seen (and nothing at all like the book). Shame shame shame on them. Shame. I very nearly walked out of the movie early in tears.

255 out of 298 people found this review helpful.

I found this review Click to rate this review as helpfulClick to rate this review as not helpfulClick to rate this review as helpful

SC 864412's other reviews >
1.0 Stars
Speaking as the writer of the original book, I'd just like to send heartfelt thanks to toxicfairy for her review. Specially the last sentence.




I find this highly interesting, as SC 864412 is a Netflix-generated username, which they create using your initials and a number. Meaning this reviewer actually does have the same initials as the author, Susan Cooper. Meaning, whoa, it actually is the author maybe? I just thought that was really interesting. And it makes me sad, since the book was great and could conceivably be made into a really great movie. Oh well.

No comments: