Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sesame Street fun on YouTube

I was supposed to be reading about Stravinsky, but the reading wasn't especially interesting and alas, I got distracted by a YouTube clip someone posted on facebook. I remember seeing this particular sketch (is that the right word?) on Sesame Street as a kid, and I thought it was funny, but I didn't totally get it. It wasn't until much later that I connected this bit with the actual The Sound of Music and fully appreciated its humor. I just watched it and was literally laughing out loud (and also recognized the Masterpiece (Monsterpiece) Theatre reference). YouTube has all my old Sesame Street favorites, including "Splish splash I was taking a bath," with the elephants; the one with the little shark singing "Mack the Knife" (only in Dutch); and of course, Rubber Ducky. I also found Placido Flamingo--it took me a long while to figure that one out, too. And I didn't realize that those sketches were so clearly parodies of Metropolitan Opera (Nestropolitan Opera) broadcasts until I watched just now. Hmmm, the set for "Placido Flamingo Loves His Telephone" looks suspiciously like La Boheme. Actually, I enjoyed that one so much that I'm afraid I'll have to post it, too.

No comments: