Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

St. Patrick's Day Movie Recommendations:


Fun/family:
The Secret of Kells -- GORGEOUS animation, lovely story.
The Secret of Roan Inish -- I guess there are a lot of secrets in Ireland? Directed by John Sayles.
Into the West -- one of my all-time favorite movies. I love Jim Sheridan. Gabriel Byrne doesn't hurt either.


Serious:
The Wind That Shakes The Barley -- I cried. A lot. And it made me angry. With Cillian Murphy.
In the Name of the Father -- ditto. But a bit more uplifting than the previous entry. Really great film. Jim Sheridan, Pete Postlethwaite, Emma Thompson, Corin Redgrave, Daniel Day-Lewis.
The Boxer -- also excellent. Also Jim Sheridan and Daniel Day-Lewis, with Emily Watson.
Angela's Ashes -- also with Emily Watson. The book is better, but I liked the movie, too.


Thanks to my Godmother Pauline, who made sure I got my Irish culture in, complete with Frank Patterson, fiddle music, Riverdance (really), and scary stories about the Cliffs of Moher. And of course, my mom.

No comments: