Friday, March 28, 2008

cough cough sneeze cough

Erm, so I haven't been blogging much lately. It's been busy, despite spring break occurring at some point. The highlight of the month: the John Williams AYS gala. Jenny and I giggled every time we got to Darth Vader's march. Sayuri's theme from Memoirs of a Geisha was beautiful and included a lovely EH solo :) Harry Potter, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, all good stuff. This is music I've grown up listening to and loving. Come to think of it, Star Wars might be the most recognizable "classical" theme (we can safely say "symphonic," no?) other than Beethoven 5. Whenever I played it while introducing the oboe to classrooms, it was the one theme EVERY kid knew, and it always got them excited. JW was lovely and humble and rather quiet. My parents came, they loved it. I drove them down to Huntington Beach for a conference on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I got sick on Monday. I am still sick, and I don't seem to be getting better. I am waiting to receive some excellent photos from Jenny from our hike sometime last week, which I hope to post here. Anyway, I'd really like to get better so I can focus on recital preparation. OK, I really need to sleep now. Goodnight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gabrielle,

Hope you're feeling better!

Take care.

Jan

Gabrielle said...

awww, thanks :) i have an ear infection, actually, so i'm still sick, although i'm feeling better. just wish my ear would unplug, though! how's that leg? i saw your picture of the new wheels--watch out, world! here comes jan!

g

Unknown said...

Oh, no! An oboist with an ear infection is not good news. Here are some tips to get you on the road to recovery:

Self-care treatment options include:

Applying a warm cloth or warm water bottle to the infected ear.

Using over-the-counter pain relief drops for ears.

Taking over-the counter medications for pain or fever, like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. DO NOT give aspirin to children.

Using prescription ear drops to relieve pain.

Hope this helps.

Unknown said...

The leg is slowly getting better. I see the orthopedic surgeon next week. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 6 weeks since my fall. Having the wheelchair at school is a Godsend. You should see me sailing down the linoleum. It's almost like Disneyland. I even put my arms up in the air. Wheeeeeeee! What I love to do is book it down the hall and have the kids huffing and puffing behind me. Too funny. They complain, "Boy, you sure are fast!" I haven't run over anyone....yet, but I've come awfully close to creaming kids who suddenly dart out into my path.